Monday, April 29, 2013

Engaging Preschool Hearts...

I am a big believer that one of the main goals of Preschool is to teach social skills (hence the "... & Hearts" on this blog title). Before ABC's and counting and writing, preschoolers need to learn about themselves- their feelings, their bodies, etc and how to get along with others. Getting 20 preschool kiddos to live in harmony with each other in 1 small classroom can sometimes be tricky, okay, who am I kidding, is tricky! I am constantly coaching and reminding them of the social norms that we adults take for granted. (Please ask him for a turn, say "Can I have a turn please?" Hitting him is not okay.)

In every class is the one kid who struggles with peer interaction. We all have them, you are probably picturing your current kid who walks up to a peer he or she wants to play with and WHACK!, then doesn't understand why that child just isn't interested in playing anymore.

I've got one. Awh, who am I kidding? I have like five of those right now.

I was brainstorming ideas of how to incorporate being friends into more than just our on-going conversations of the day and put it into a formal lesson of sorts. I remember talking about social stories in a Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL) training that I went to a few years ago. I headed over to their site and found their "I Can Be A Super Friend" social story, but the pictures were just... odd  not to my liking. So I set out to create my own using a site I've fallen in love with recently:

MyCuteGraphics.com
I used her free clip art to create a customized version of "I Can Be a Super Friend!" for my classroom, and I want to share it all with you for use in your classroom in hopes it makes teaching those oh-so-important social skills a tad easier. My kids are automatically drawn to this book just because of the two super heroes I put on the front. =)

(Click the picture to download on Google Drive)

Print, laminate, and slip a few binder rings on it and it's ready to go! This is the first one I made, and since then I've worked on a few more that I will share.

If you have any questions, or would like the wording changed in some way, please feel free to contact me! I would be happy to help. =)

Until next time-- play, create, and get messy!--

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete